Advantages and disadvantages of prestressed concrete can be listed as follows
Advantages of Prestressed Concrete:
- Prestressed concrete members are free from cracks and the resistance to the effect of impact, shock and stresses are higher than RCC structures.
- Longevity of prestressed structure is greater than RCC structure because the reinforcement stays unaffected from outer agencies.
- The high compressive strength of concrete and high tensile strength of steel are used for prestressing that makes it more economical.
- Smaller sections can be used for longer span by reducing the section of members.
- Prestressed members are lighter in weight and easily transportable.
- It requires a smaller amount of construction materials.
- The shear resistance of members can be increased by using curved tendons.
- Prestressing also reduces the diagonal tension in concrete.
Disadvantages Of Prestressed Concrete:
- The main disadvantage of prestressing is that it requires some special equipment like jacks, anchorage etc, which pretends the use of prestressing.
- High tensile steel is required for prestressing that is very difficult to procure.
- It requires highly skilled workers and should be prepared under expert supervision.
- It is costlier than other RCC structures.
These are the advantages and disadvantages of prestressed concrete