Fine aggregate is used in many fields in sites for many purposes.So the determination of specific gravity of fine aggregate is very essential.
Specific gravity of fine aggregate can be defined as the ratio of the weight of given volume of coarse aggregate to the weight of given volume of distilled water.
Apparatus for determination of specific gravity of fine aggregate
- Balance weight
Procedure for the determination of specific gravity of fine aggregate
- Clean the pycnometer, dry it, Find the weight of the pycnometer.
- Take about 200gm of coarse aggregate sample in the pycnometer.Weight the pycnometer, Note the weight W2
- Fill the remaining part of pycnometer with distilled water and weight W3
- Empty the pycnometer and clean it and fill it with distilled water.Note the weight W4
- Empty weight of pycnometer = W1
- Weight of pcynometer+ sample= W2
- Weight of pycnomete+ sample+water = W3
- Weight of pycnometer+ water = W4
The specific gravity of fine aggregate = G = W2-W1 / (W2-W1) – (W3-W4)