What is Ready Mixed Concrete (RMC)?
Ready Mixed Concrete is a tailor – made concrete that is manufactured in a factory or within a batching plant based on the standard required specifications. The prepared concrete mix is then taken to the work site within transit mixers mounted over a truck.
This type of concrete guarantee higher durability and sustainability. As the work is carried out by an expert supplier, the mixture formed is precise and of higher quality. Special concrete mixtures too can be made efficiently by this concrete manufacturing method.
Advantages of Ready Mixed Concrete
- Quality concrete is obtained as a ready-mix concrete mix plant make use of sophisticated equipment and consistent methods. There is strict control over the testing of materials, process parameters and continuous monitoring of key practices during the manufacture.Poor control on the input materials, batching and mixing methods in the case of site mix concrete is solved in a ready-mix concrete method.
- Speed in the construction practices followed in ready mix concrete plant is followed continuously by having mechanised operations. The output obtained from a site mix concrete plant using a 8/12 mixer is 4 to 5 metric cubes per hour which is 30-60 metric cubes per hour in a ready mix concrete plant.
- Better handling and proper mixing practice will help to reduce the consumption of cement by 10 – 12%. Use of admixtures and other cementitious materials will help to reduce the amount of cement.
- The concrete mixed is used with high versatility. It is placed by following best concrete placing methods.
- Cement is saved and the dust caused is reduced as ready mix concrete make use of bulk concrete instead of bags of cement.
- Cement saving will conserve the energy and the resources.
- Less consumption result in less production of cement hence less environmental pollution.
- More durable structure is obtained thus increasing the service life and saving the life cycle costs.
- Ready mix concrete manufacture have less dependency on human labours hence the chances of human errors is reduced. This will also reduce the dependency on intensive labours.
- Small or large quantities of concrete as per the specification is delivered timely at the site.
- This demands no space for storing the raw materials at site. There is no delay due to site based batching plant erection/ dismantling; no equipment to hire; no depreciation of costs.
- Petrol and diesel consumed is less thus noise and air pollution is reduced.
Disadvantages of Ready Mixed Concrete
- The transit time from the time of preparation of concrete to the delivery site, will result in loss of workability. This will demand for additional water or admixtures to maintain the workability as per the specification. At site, the QA/QC engineer are supposed to check the workability through slump test before using it for construction.
- Traffic during the transit of concrete can result in setting of concrete. This will hence require addition of admixtures to delay the setting period. But unexpected traffic is a great problem.
- The formwork and placing arrangement must be prepared in advance in large area as the concrete can be bought in larger amounts.