Advantages and disadvantages of plane table surveying
In this article, we are going to discuss about the advantages and disadvantages of plane table surveying.
1.Advantages of plane table surveying
- The plain is drawn by the outdoor surveyor himself while the country is before his eyes and therefore there is no possibility of omitting the necessary measurements
- The surveyor can compare plotted work with the actual features of the area.
- Since the area is in view, contour and irregular objects ma be represented accurately.
- Direct measurements may be almost entirely dispensed with, as the linear and angular dimensions are both to be obtained by graphical means.
- Notes of measurements are seldom required and the possibility of mistakes in looking is eliminated.
- It is particularly useful in magnetic areas where the compass may not be used.
- It is simple and hence cheaper than the theodolite or any other type of survey.
- It is most suitable for small scale maps
- No great skill is required to produce a satisfactory map and the work may be entrusted to a subordinate.
2.Disadvantages of plane table surveying
- The plane table is not intended for very accurate work.
- It is essentially a tropical instrument
- It is most inconvenient in the rainy season and in a wet climate
- Due to heaviness, it is inconvenient to transport.
- Since there are so many accessories, there is every likelihood of these being lost
These are the advantages and disadvantages of plane table surveying. Hope you like this article