In simple, we can say that Bogues compounds are the complex compound formed during the hydration of cement.These calculations are explained by a system developed by R.H.Bogue.
When water is mixed with cement, the hydration process begins.The ingredients in concrete react each other with the help of water and forms more complex compounds.These compounds are called bogues compounds.
There are four types of compounds formed during the hydration of cement.Each Compound has its own property.The property of cement can be changed by varying the percentage of these compounds during hydration.
There are many types of cement available in the market according to the percentage of bogues compounds formed during the hydration of cement.
The amount of compounds formed during cement hydration is the main criteria for the classification of cement.
Types of bogues compounds
1.Tri-Calcium Silicate (C3S)
- Tricalcium silicate promotes cement to hydrate quickly and makes more strength at early stages.
- Tricalcium silicate have a high heat of hydration
- eg-Rapid Hardening cement
- Dicalcium silicate strengthens the concrete from 7 days to 1 year.
- They have less heat of hydration
- eg: Low heat cement
- Tricalcium aluminate has a small contribution to the strength of first 24 hours and they have a high heat of hydration.
4.Tetra Calcium Alumino Ferrate.
- Comparatively Inactive