PCC is paste of cement, aggregate and water. It is mostly used in flooring and usages where it is liable to low stress only. PCC cannot withstand tensile stress.RCC is used in most of civil work and main frames which will withstand all stress and heavy loads. It acts like backbone of any structure.
But if you compare it in terms of money then PCC is much cheaper then RCC and PCC needs no formwork or temporary work so it is much cheaper as compared to RCC.’
Plain Cement Concrete:-
The mixture of cement, fine aggregate (sand) and coarse aggregate is called plain cement concrete (PCC) PCC is mainly used for following purposes.
- It is used as a protective layer for the RCC above so that water from the RCC is not absorbed by the earth below.
- Provides a base for the concrete and also helps workers to set out the structure above in a easier way.
- Act as a cover to reinforced cement concrete i.e. resist corrosion of steel bars in footings.
- Moisture available in soil should not absorbed by R.C.C footings which causes corrosion of reinforcement
Reinforced Cement Concrete:-
Reinforced concrete, or RCC, is concrete that contains embedded steel bars, plates, or fibers that strengthen the material. The capability to carry loads by these materials is magnified, and because of this RCC is used extensively in all construction. In fact, it has become the most commonly utilized construction material.
Advantages of Reinforced Concrete
- Reinforced concrete has a high compressive strength compared to other building materials.
- Due to the provided reinforcement, reinforced concrete can also withstand a good amount tensile stress.
- Fire and weather resistance of reinforced concrete is fair.
- The reinforced concrete building system is more durable than any other building system.
- Reinforced concrete, as a fluid material, in the beginning, can be economically molded into a nearly limitless range of shapes.
- The maintenance cost of reinforced concrete is very low.
- In the structure like footings, dams, piers etc. reinforced concrete is the most economical construction material.
- It acts like a rigid member with minimum deflection.
- As reinforced concrete can be molded to any shape required, it is widely used in precast structural components. It yields rigid members with minimum apparent deflection.
- Compared to the use of steel in structure, reinforced concrete requires less skilled labor for the erection of the structure.
Both are used for different purpose. But RCC has more advantages than PCC.
I would say that RCC is better than PCC, But cost of RCC is more than PCC.