Well, the best country for civil engineers is India. I know that the Dubai real estate market is also doing great. But, the numbers and opportunities in India are just unreal! Therefore, the potential is huge. I’ll try substantiating my answer with raw facts and figures:
- USD 1 Trillion investments for infrastructure sector projected during 2012-17
- USD 650 Billion investments in urban infrastructure estimated over the r next 20 years.
- 100% Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) permitted through the automatic route for townships, cities.
- Construction sector contributes towards 8% of the Indian GDP (at constant prices). Last five year estimates (2006-07 to 2010-11).
- Additional Fact: increased to 3.85 lakh crore (7.9% of the total GDP) in 2010-11 from 284798 crore (8% of the total GDP) in 2006-07.
- Growth rate for GDP in construction 8.1%
- 100 Smart Cities and 500 AMRUT Cities will invite investment of 2 Trillion Rupees in the next five years.
- INR 62,009 Crore would be invested under Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) in urban areas.
These are just many planes of the tip of a massive iceberg! The problem with India though, is the lack of skilled and knowledgeable work force which can drive the industry to the next level. Universities and institutions in general, aren’t doing well enough to impart job related skills in youngsters! Therefore, there’s a huge demand for jobs!
But, with such numbers, one can safely bet on India to take a massive stride in terms of the magnitude of projects it is gong to witness roughly, in the next 5–10 years! Therefore the best country for civil engineers for coming 5 years is going to be India.